We wanted to create a summary of a great article that was published in Facility Executive Magazine on five ways that window films can be used to improve your facility. This article discusses a variety of ways that facility executives and commercial property managers can integrate window films to upgrade commercial spaces.
Five Benefits Available With Commercial Window Films
- Energy Savings: It has been reported that up to 30% of any building’s cooling and heating load is dependent on windows. Installing a commercial window film can reduce the stress on a facility’s HVAC system by blocking up to 80 percent of the sun’s heat which can help cut cooling costs.
- Green Building Benefits: Nearly 75% of windows are not energy efficient, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Commercial window film installation would cost a fraction of window replacement while accomplishing many of the same goals. It also would reduce the landfill impact of a window replacement and go a long way in reducing a building’s carbon footprint.
- Building Aesthetics: Commercial window film can improve the aesthetics of a commercial building. It can accomplish this by improving the appearance of older, dated windows with film. This can have the effect of the whole building appearing as though it had a modern facelift. In addition, decorative window films that can add style, privacy and create unique branding and design elements.
- Safety and Security: Windows and doors represent the most vulnerable parts of any building. They represent easy points of entry for someone wishing to gain access by force. Security window films make these vulnerable panels harder to penetrate which can protect the occupants, the building and its contents. By delaying the intruder’s entrance, it allows those inside time to react and allows local authorities time to get to the scene. Regarding safety, the film will act to hold glass shards together minimizing the risk of injury from flying or broken glass.
- Health and Comfort: The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends solar control window film to protect healthy skin and prevent premature aging. Window film lets natural daylight in, but typically blocks at least 99% of the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays, protecting the building’s occupants from these harmful rays. Employees are also more productive and comfortable thanks to window film reducing glare, not only on their computer screens but throughout the entire building.